150 years of rugby at MHS


Saturday 12th October – 150th anniversary of rugby at MHS.

A rainy old day. 

Watched an invitational OMs take on invitational Foundation team – 12-12 – fair result. 
Standing on Topfield touchline with players running around in chocolate and white shirts reminded me of school days when it was mandatory to watch the 1st XV if one wasn’t engaged in sport – but without the chanting.

Followed by a reception, speeches from Graeme Roberts (capt of centenary MHS team and my golf foursomes partner), and Nigel Wray. Hosted by Aaron Liffchak, Director of Sports at MHS.
A good turnout despite the weather.

I was delighted to meet Stephen Wright, Matthew Fowler, Richard Horton and Jay Flynn (over from USA for this) all of whom I hadn’t seen since leaving school or playing rugby in the early 1970s. Also had a chat with Chris Dean former maths master during my time – still doing some teaching Cambridge way.
This day was also supposed to have been the 50th anniversary reunion for 1969 leavers. It was a great shame that not enough people signed up, so only a few of us were present having come for the rugby celebration in any case. This was rather disappointing, but as I pointed out in discussion not entirely surprising to me as the late 1960’s generation was at school during a period of great societal change and many didn’t want to remain engaged after they left.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....and finally

My Annual Dinner

Inaugural virtual reunion for Australian OMs