Alford House


Monday 28th October – Visit to Alford House

Nigel Baker, William Maunder-Taylor and Nick Priestnall invited me to visit Alford House in Kennington – just off Kennington Lane.

I suspect that like many OMs, I have heard about Alford House (AH) for so long and seen the reports in Martlet but never really gave too much thought as to what goes on there and has been achieved.

Well, on Monday evening I visited AH and was given a tour. Firstly, I was surprised at the location; I must have passed it so many times without realising that it was there, as I had many an occasion over the years to visit the Kennington area.

I was shown around by Tim Saunders who is the Manager of the Club and Site and has been involved with AH one way or another for much of his life having succeeded his father in the role. I was equally surprised by the scale of the facility and the size of the main rooms and halls. Whilst these are let out to theatre groups and the local community there is also plenty of space for youth club activities. Finally, I was impressed by the plans for development as there is clearly a great deal of potential.

Following the tour, I attended a dinner at the National Liberal Club in honour of Nigel Baker who is stepping down as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of AH after many years of service. Nigel will, however, remain on the board and will continue to represent AH at the OMC Management Executive. 
The link with OMC seems as strong as ever with the majority of Trustees being OMs.

Those present at the dinner: Nigel Baker, William Maunder-Taylor, Nick Priestnall, Keith Wallace, Graham Chase, Christopher Lloyd, Andrew Welch, Jane Sanchez, Robert Harley, Martin Shaw, James Orloff, Tim Saunders, Tim de Vere Green, Gordon Mizner.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....and finally

My Annual Dinner

Inaugural virtual reunion for Australian OMs