My Annual Dinner

 1st October 2021

Well this has finally come around - my Presidential Annual Dinner at which I hand over to my successor. The dinner was held at the beautiful and impressive Plaisterers Hall close to the Museum of London.

I had been concerned that a combination of Covid caution together with a conflict of dates as a result of so many things being postponed would reduce the numbers attending. Indeed, this has happened to a small degree with several "regulars" not able to attend. However, overall the 140+ attending was a very respectable number, and I can say that I was delighted.

I was pleased to see good representation from my era at school, the 1960s, as well as golfers, Oakers, and engineers, all groups with whom I have had the pleasure to associate with over many years.

The feedback that I have had has been very positive. Everyone was impressed with the venue and the food was excellent much as we had hoped after our tasting experience.

And then of course the speeches....!

I am happy to say that even these were well received and were kept short. My thanks to Jane Sanchez, Antony Spencer and John Gallagher for their speeches.

The President's Awards were made to Colin Nunn, Stewart Wernham, Richard Lidwell, John Henley & Roger Holliday, John Oldroyd, Donald Haigh.

As a result of Covid19 and travel difficulties only Colin and Stewart were present to receive their awards. The others were collected by Peter Wakeham (Chair OMC) on behalf of the recipients. Their medals will be forwarded to them.

Also, there are quite a few people I need to thanks for making the evening so memorable and successful.

Firstly, Laura Turner who organised everything on behalf of the OM Club and without whom this wouldn't have happened. Then John Hellinikakis for agreeing to be Master of Ceremonies and keeping everyone in order. Also Michael Phillips for saying Grace and Nigel Baker for proposing the Loyal Toast and Peter Wakeham for his support and input to the dinner arrangements. All in all a great team affair.

Finally I would like to thank all those who contributed to my President's Appeal to support the attendance of younger OMs. We haven't yet done the sums but there were quite a few young OMs present which was great to see - so many thanks.

When the formal photos are released I shall add a few here for completeness, although I am sure that they will also appear in Martlet and on the web site. Meantime below is one of myself and Angela before the crowds arrived.

Finally, I handed over to John Gallagher. I wish John a successful and active Presidency.

I shall write one final Blog in this series giving my thoughts and reflections on a most unexpected two years.

                                                      Angela & Gordon at Plaisterers Hall

                                                            

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....and finally

Inaugural virtual reunion for Australian OMs

Busy September